Thursday, September 10, 2009

Fun Techniques for Autistic Kids

Whiteboards Engage Autistic Students by: Kathleen McClaskey and Randy Welch



This article is about new learning techniques that were introduced to autistic children. Since autistic kids have attention deficits, they aren't able to focus for very long on one particular thing without getting distracted. This is especially difficult in the classroom because autistic children aren't able to learn anything because they get bored too easily and then they just tune out whatever information is being taught to them. So there was an experiment performed on an autistic group of kids where they were introduced to an interactive whiteboard where they could do their learning on a touch screen right in front of them. All the kids used it with each other and the teacher used it as well. The students had a lot of fun and really enjoyed the new interactive system and it was proving to work. The autistic children could sit for about 45 minutes and learn with their whiteboards, whereas before their attention span would only last about 15 minutes. I think that it's great that teachers and searching out new or different ways to teach their kids. Especially when it comes to autistic kids or kids with special needs, they require a lot of one on one attention from instructors and sometime that's not always possible. While reading this article, I was thinking to myself that this could be great to use in a normal classroom as well. All kids have short attention spans and a lot of students have trouble focusing in class so anything that will spark their interest or make them want to learn will be beneficial to them.

The ideas presented in the article could be very helpful in my classroom. Since most kids have short attention spans, a teacher always has to be thinking on her toes and come up with exciting or interesting ways to teach her students. I will always try and make sure that my students don't become bored or uninterested in topics that I am teaching. I want them to retain the information I give them so hopefully it will be with them always and help them in their futures. Whether it be turning a math problem into a silly game or having them act out their history lesson, theres always something you could do to put the spark into your students mind.

3 comments:

  1. For my blog I read about interactive whiteboards but I had no idea what they were. This is a really cool concept! It is so great to see new technology coming out to help these children learn. I can defiantly see how this would be beneficial in regular classes as well. What kid doesn’t want to be using a touch screen whiteboard? It is neat to see children get excited to learn and these would defiantly help. I agree that learning should not be boring and I like your ideas on how to get the children interested. GOOD JOB JACKIE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great reading about these whiteboards for special needs kids, because I as well found a software that is great for them. I think it is great that technology is helping for the better in classrooms, especially for special needs and younger kids that have a short attention span. I think its great that you related it to how you would use it as a teacher, but remember techers are both male and female (you said "she" when reffering to a teacher, I catch myself doing it too!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is really cool how more and more people are paying attention to the needs of autisic children. People have always treated speical needs children like they could not learn the same things mainstream children were learning. I think the use of the whiteboards will force teacher to stop handicaping the handicap.

    ReplyDelete